This is the bhajana-kutira of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura. While living here Srila Bhaktivinoda wrote the Navadvipa-dhama-mahatmya, which describes the glories of Navadvipa dhama. He also discovered Lord Caitanya’s appearance place during this time. Bhaktivinoda Thakura’s samadhi and Gaurakisora dasa Babaji’s bhajana kutira are also here. Upstairs in the main house is the bedroom of Bhaktivinoda Thakura. There is a temple next to the original house where Gaura-Gadadhara, the original deities worshiped by Bhaktivinoda, are located. Bhaktivinoda Thakura predicted that a great devotee would appear and spread Krishna consciousness all over the world.
Shortly thereafter, His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada fulfilled his prediction. Bhaktivinoda Thakura also had a vision that one day there would be a great spiritual city in Navadvipa-dhama. At present a city is being established in Sridhama Mayapur. Bhaktivinoda Thakura named his house Svananda-sukhada-kunja. It is non-different from Svananda-sukhadakunja, the private grove of Lalita sakhi, located on the bank of Radha-kunda in Vrindavana. Bhaktivinoda Thakura’s songs reveal how he is eternally living in this kunja serving the divine couple, Sri Sri Radha and Krishna. “My small cottage is shining beautifully within that most enchanting garden called Svananda-sukhada-kunja. Living there I will sing Lord Krishna’s holy name and greedily hanker for the time when I will be granted the opportunity to serve Him and His associates.” (Gitamala) “On the banks of the celestial Ganga, I will dwell in a cottage at Surabhikunja in Godruma-dhama. This land of Godruma is very conducive for performing devotional worship of the Supreme Lord and is non-different from the sacred place called Nandagrama, located in the holy district of Mathura.” (Saranagati) It is said that at times the four acaryas, Jagannatha dasa Babaji Maharaja, Gaurakisora dasa Babaji Maharaja, Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura and Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura, would meet here and discuss the pastimes of Gaurahari. There is a small house in one corner of the temple courtyard where Srila Gaurakisora dasa Babaji Maharaja used stay when he came to visit Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura.
Darsana times: 6-11.30 a.m. and 3-8 p.m.
Directions: Continue a short distance down the main road from Surabhikunja. Bhaktivinoda Thakura’s house will be on your right just past a big banyan tree on the left.
1. The main altar has a murti of Bhaktivinoda Thakura and (around the corner) his personal deities, Sri Sri Mahaprabhu and Sri Sri Gadadhara Pandita.
2. On the left, just inside the front gate, are the deities of Kshetra-pala Siva and his bull-carrier, Nandi.
Places of interest:
1. Place of honor: On the left side of the main altar is a small place honoring Bhaktivinoda Thakura’s dedicated servant, Krishna dasa.
2. Bhajana-kutira of Gaurakisora dasa Babaji: On the right of the main altar is the place where Gaurakisora dasa Babaji had a bhajanakutira. He spent many hours chanting here while visiting Bhaktivinoda Thakura. Previously the doorway to this hut was facing the back wall, reflecting Gaurakisora dasa Babaji’s humble mood, but now it has been changed to face the main courtyard for the convenience of visitors.
2. House: It is on the left side of the property. Bhaktivinoda Thakura’s room is the first room at the top of the stairs. It has some of his personal belongings. This is where he wrote many of his newsletters and books. The verandah outside this room is where Bhaktivinoda Thakura saw the visions of Lord Caitanya in kirtana and the golden city of Mahaprabhu.
3. Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura’s room is next to his father’s.