H.H Gaur Govinda Swami mentions that ,”Srila Saccidananda Bhaktivinoda Thakura was born with the name Sri Kedarnath Dutta on September 2, 1838. He appeared in the village of Ula, in the district of Nadia, West Bengal, which was his maternal uncle’s home. But the house of his forefathers is in the village of Choti in the Kendrapara District of Orissa. Choti is the shripat, the native place of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura, and he resided here. Having been decorated with the dust of Bhaktivinoda Thakura’s lotus feet, this is a very sacred place. But most people have not known about it. This place is now coming to everyone’s notice because of the blessings of Bhaktivinoda Thakura.”
After completing his studies in Calcutta, Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura came to Orissa. Bhaktivinoda Thakura not only obtained a very good education, but also worked to spread it among his compatriots. For the benefit of the oppressed people of Orissa, he started the first English-medium school in Kendrapara. That Kendrapara High School is still there now, and Bhaktivinoda Thakura was the first teacher and headmaster in 1858.
The King Donated an Entire Village
After some time he met the feudal king of Ali State, who was impressed with Krishnananda’s spiritual qualities. The king invited him to live in his state, and donated an entire village, named Chhoti (formerly called Chhoti Mangalpur), to the worship of Sri Sri Radha-Madhava. The descendants of Krishnananda Dutta worshiped Sri Sri Radha-Madhava in Chhoti from generation to generation. Eventually the worship passed into the hands of his descendent Kedaranath Dutta (1838-1914), who is well known to all Gaudiya Vaisnavas as Srila Bhaktivinode Thakura. Unfortunately, after his son, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Thakura, departure from this world, the worship became neglected, and the Deities resided in a house unknown to the whole of the Gaudya Vaisnava community